About our client and the Role
Book Bunk is a social impact firm working in Partnership with the Nairobi City Council to restore, renovate, and create programming for the McMillan Memorial Library in the CBD and its subsidiary branches in Kaloleni and Makadara. We imagine that libraries can become more than repositories, seeing them as heritage sites from where public memory, public discourse and cultural engagement begin.
The Fundraising Manager will work with the Managing Partners and the Communications Teams to identify and prioritize opportunities for Book Bunk, directly building, nurturing, and monitoring working relationships with key partners to ensure innovative, impactful partnership, advocacy initiatives and social impact platforms. You will lead the entire donor cycle with a focus on identifying and building funding channels via donors, partners and funder (foundation, individual, corporate etc). You will also be responsible for creating and implementing fundraising strategies, researching and identifying fundraising opportunities, submitting applications, maintaining a donor database, reporting to donors and running online fundraising campaigns.
Functions & Responsibilities:
- Researching, identifying and matching fundraising opportunities to organisational needs and communicating these to the relevant team(s)
- Preparing presentations and writing applications for grants; coordinating proposal submissions and management
- Managing Book Bunk’s fundraising campaigns
- Working with the Communications and Digital Departments to create fundraising narratives and campaigns
- Identify, research and onboard new donors based on our programs
- Onboard and generate partnerships that support the Book Bunks vision and support the foundations operations
- Uphold policy documents in line with donor requirement: gender policies, child protection etc
- Proactively develop and manage strategic relationships and partnerships that will result in enhanced impact and reach for Book Bunk
- Lead campaigns and partnership functions, including sourcing for funding for annual and seasonal events in partnership with other departments
- Building strong relationships with targeted donors and partners
- Attend networking events, conferences and other related activities
- Prepare quarterly grant financial and operations reports liaising with finance team
- Tabulate and present quarterly reports to the organisation’s board members
- Prepare fundraising budgets, partner contractual agreement and Scope of Work (SOW) while supporting the annual Work Plan
Other responsibilities as assigned by your Line Manager.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- Superior written and oral communication skills, with the ability to convey concepts and recommendations in a clear and persuasive manner that is tailored to a range of audience
- Excellent leadership skills
- Excellent planning and organisation skills; ability to work independently and to make decisions promptly
- Experience working in non-profit organisations and managing donations
- Strong relational skills (comfortable connecting with and pitching to people from various walks of life, from high-ranking corporates/ donors to individuals who would like to volunteer
- Have a wide outreach network/connections
- Knowledge of public policy and advocacy in social impact projects is an added advantage
Qualifications, Certification & Training
- At least 5 years of experience working in fundraising, preferably in the social impact space
- A Bachelor's Degree in the Social Sciences, Business Management/ Finance
- Certificate of good conduct from the CID
- Knowledge of Google work space, excel
- Relevant professional certifications
- Reports to Founder & Managing Trustees
- Collaborates with: Communications Manager, Finance, Events & Projects, Administration, Coordinators
- Reporting to this role: Fundraising Interns & Associates
- External Relationships: Funders, Donors, Corporate Partners
Additional Terms of Work:
- This is a full-time position.
- Probation is 3 months.
- Working hours are: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm on Monday to Friday.
An attractive salary is on offer dependent on skills, qualifications, and experience.